Recently, I deiced to stop being ignorant and really understand what I am ingesting. Through my Paleo research and documentaries, what I found was shocking and because of that I am a strong advocate of eating healthy as well as healthy living. The food industry doesn’t want you to know the truth but because if you did you might not eat it so it is a world deliberately hidden from us but if you did know would you change your mind?
Food in the US does not come from farms any longer such as in other countries they come from a manufacturing plant, ran by corporations which are monopolized. The pictures of farms and happy animals roaming around that you see on your food are a myth, do not be fool, open you eyes and see what really is out there. Like the care about is profiting so its all about doing things faster, fatter, bigger, cheaper…no one is thinking about the health of our system!
This knowledge, of people who deliberately hurt other people for profits $$$ makes me boil inside with rage, as well as people who know that this is happening and still they continue to nothing about it. Ignorance is not bliss, knowing what is happening is!
The production of food overall has more drastically changed since that time than the several thousand years prior. Controlled primarily by a handful of multinational corporations, the global food production business – with an emphasis on the business.
The USDA and FDA are supposed to protect the public, so why is it that both government regulatory agencies have been complicit in allowing corporations to put profit ahead of consumer health, the American farmer, worker safety, and even the environment? As chicken breasts get bigger and tomatoes are genetically engineered not to go bad, 73,000 Americans fall ill from powerful new strains of E. coli every year, obesity levels are skyrocketing, and adult diabetes has reached epidemic proportions. Perhaps if the general public knew how corporations use exploited laws and subsidies to create powerful monopolies, the outrage would be enough to make us think more carefully about the food we put into our bodies.
~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi
As per a blog by the food illusion, here are some highlights from the Food, Inc. Documentary
Did you know!?
Supermarkets and Corn
- The tomatoes you buy from the grocery store are picked when green and then ripened with ehtylene gas
- The average grocery store has 47,000 products which makes it look like there is a large variety of choice – but it is an illusion – there are only a few major companies and a few major crops involved
- So much of the processed food is just clever rearrangements of corn (examples of the additives that are derived from corn: cellulose, saccharin, polydextrose, xanthan gum, maltodextrin, and of course high fructose corn syrup)
- 30% of our land base in the US is used to grow corn because farmers are paid to overproduce this easy-to-store crop
- Farmers are producing so much corn that food scientists had to come up with uses for it – such as the additives listed
- Food scientist have also spent a lot of time reengineering our foods – last longer on shelves
- 90% of the processed food products in the grocery store contain either a corn or soybean ingredient and most of the time they contain both
- Cows are being feed corn who, by evolution, are designed to eat grass and in some cases farmers are even teaching fish how to eat corn because it is so cheap
- In supermarket: candy, chips and soda are all cheaper than produce
- Type 2 diabetes used to only affect adults and now it is affecting children in epidemic proportions
Cows and beef
- Mcdonald’s is the largest purchaser of ground beef (and potatoes, apples, pork, and even tomatoes) in the United States, and they want their food to taste same everywhere, so they have great influence on the system – so even if you don’t eat at fast food restaurants you may be eating meat produced by this system
- What it comes down to is that, similar to the meat industry, only a handful of companies are controlling our entire food system:
- In 1970 – the top 5 beef packers controlled 25% of the market
- Today – the top 4 beef packers control 80% of market
- Animals at factory farms stand ankle deep in their manure all day long so if one cow has something others can get it too
- Regulatory agencies are being controlled by the very companies they are supposed to be scrutinizing
- Food is not getting safer it is becoming more contaminated because with the bigger factories it spreads the problem far and wide
- There are only 13 slaughterhouses for the majority of beef in all of the US
- Ground beef from the grocery store has thousands of different cows mixed up in it so the chance of one of those cows in your meat having a disease is increased
- Some companies are now using a hamburger meat filler cleansed with ammonia hydroxide to help kill E. Coli
Chickens and Industrial Chicken Farms
- Chickens are being raised in half the time they were in 1950s (49 days vs. 3 months), but even in half the time they are ending up twice as big (thanks to growth hormones, among other things)
- People like white meat so scientists have managed to redesign the chicken to have bigger breasts
- Today’s industrial chicken farms produce a lot of food, on a small amount of land, for a very affordable price
- A Tyson Chicken farmer says the chickens never even see sunlight – they are kept day and night in chicken houses with no windows
- When chickens (with the help of growth hormones) grow from a baby chic to a 5.5 lb chicken in 7 weeks the bones can’t keep up with growth – which means some can’t handle weight that they are carrying so when they try to take a few steps they fall down
- Corn is cheap (and also helps make the chickens fat quickly) so it has allowed us to drive down the price of meat – over 200lbs of meat per person per year would not be possible without this diet of cheap grain
Pork and Hog Processing Plants –
- They slaughter 32,000 hogs per day (2,000 hogs an hour) and employees get infections from handling the guts so much
- Meat packing is one of the most dangerous jobs in the US and it is done by a lot of illegal immigrants
The Government’s Role
- 70% of processed foods have some sort of Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) – the food industry fought against having to label foods as GMO and won
- It is also against the law to criticize the food industry’s foods – thanks to the “Veggie Libel Laws”
- The food industry has different protections than other industries (Oprah was sued after saying she won’t eat another burger)
- In Colorado it is a actually a felony and you can go to prison for criticizing their foods
- The “Cheeseburger bills” make it difficult to sue them, but these companies have legions of attorneys and they may sue you (even if they can’t win) just to send a message
What we can do to change things???
Individual consumers changed the biggest retailer’s milk options to now offer organic (Wal-Mart). The food industry will deliver to the marketplace what the marketplace demands – so if we demand good wholesome food we will get it. You can vote to change the system 3 times a day. So choose foods that are in season, local, organic and read the labels -which is what so what Paleo, The Food illusion’s blog and this blog is all about!
Most importantly do not waste you money on eating out everyday because it is fast simple and cheap- cooking is fast simple and cheap as well, so start learning how to make healthy choices and cook with your friends & family – It’s a good time! For healthy food ideas, see my recipe blogs: Thanksgiving Paleo, Grass Fed Meat, Lamb Pork share blogs!
Remember “You can change the world”, do not be ignorant about about the food you put in your bodies….