“The 30 Day Challenge”
As I promised in my previous “Energy blog” the following is the information on how you too can reach your goals, whether it be health related or simply wanting to look and feel great take “The 30 Day Challenge”.
- Lose weight?
- Feel better?
- Have more energy?
- Reduce inflammation and pain?
- Reverse diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, lupus, autism, diabetes, and obesity?
- Look, feel, and perform at your best ever?
In starting this challenge I had to figure out a couple things; how was I going to do this? What food is acceptable or unacceptable? Why can’t I eat certain foods such as legumes, grains etc? To help you understand why- please see the next articles posted by my gym Crossfit Garden City.
Click on each link for the full article to learn why!
- Carbs = Insulin = Fat
- How Many Carbs?
- Why Grains Are Unhealthy
- Why Dairy is Unhealthy
- Why Beans Are Unhealthy
- No Dairy, So Where’s My Calcium?
- Eat Fat!
- Don’t Eat Soy!
- The “Better” Food Guide Pyramid
- Damn, Dirty Grains
I also wanted to know the research behind what I was doing & what was happening in my body since my aim is to live a healthy life. I also wanted to choose a diet that wouldn’t harm my body which is very important to me. Another factor I had to overcome was letting go of everything I learned about nutrition, such as the US food pyramid and what the media has exposed me too such as Dr. Oz and the news.
To make this a simple process, I have provided you with docs and with a link to Robb Wolf’s ebook, 30 Day Total Transformation, former research biochemist & one of the world’s leading experts in Paleolithic nutrition, which is 60 page easy read compiled with audio files about why the Paleo diet works, includes his thoughts on sleep, stress, neuro-regulation of appetite, and why the Paleo diet turns your body into a lean, mean, fat-burning machine.
Just click on the book to order your very own copy!
The 30 day Challenge= Totally transformed: real people, real results.
The Paleo Solution: understand why we don’t eat these food.
To get started with the 30 day challenge download the following docs:
- Food List: A list of “Good” and “Bad” foods. Pretty thorough but there are some items left off.
- Score Sheet: Daily tracking sheet that allows you to score yourself in all 4 areas of the Challenge.
- Paleo Solution Quick Start resources from Robb Wolf’s book “The Paleo Solution” to get you started along with the ebook
- Food Matrix
The following are other useful guides to making better decisions created by Diane Sanfilippo, Certified Nutrition Consultant, C.H.E.K. Holistic Lifestyle Coach from Balancedbites. This is what helped me get started in my journey, read – very eye opening information!
Here’s how the challenge works, you must concentrate on 4 areas everyday:
Sleep: As per my Energy blog I pointed out that our bodies need 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. This stage is an essential part of the challenge, our bodies need sleep to recover faster from exercise, have better memory, have fewer allergies, and have significantly less inflammation. If you’re overweight, this is a non-negotiable! See Robb Wolf’s 30 Day Total Transformation Book, Part 1: Sleep, Stress & Exercise.
Nutrition: On this plan you would be able to…..
Eat Real Food
- Meat (includes poultry and seafood)
- Some fruit (mostly berries)
- Tons of good fats.
ALL 3 of your meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner should be makde up of PROTEIN, CARBS (VEGGIES) & FAT- see below
- Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, stevia, etc. Read your labels, because companies sneak sugar into products in all kinds of ways.
- Do not eat processed foods. This includes protein shakes, pre-packaged snacks/meals, protein bars, milk substitutes, etc.
- Do not drink alcohol, in any form.
- Do not eat grains. This includes (but is not limited to) wheat, rye, barley, millet, oats, corn, rice, sprouted grains and all of those gluten-free pseudo-grains like quinoa. (Yes, we said corn!) This also includes all the ways we add wheat, corn and rice into our foods in the form of bran, germ, starch and so on. Again, read your labels.
- Do not eat legumes. This includes beans (black, kidney, lima, etc.), peas, lentils, and peanuts or peanut butter. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).
- Do not eat dairy. This includes all cow, goat or sheep’s milk, cream, butter, cheese, yogurt, whey, ice cream, etc.
- Do not eat white potatoes. It’s arbitrary, but they are carbohydrate-dense and nutrient poor, and also a nightshade.
Include these foods in moderation;
- Fruit juice as a sweetener. Some products will use orange or apple juice as a sweetener. Okay with a small amount of fruit juice as an added ingredient during… but this doesn’t mean a cup of fruit juice is okay!
- Certain legumes. Green beans, sugar snap peas and snow peas are fine. While they’re technically a legume, they’re far more “pod” than “bean”, so eat your greens.
- Processed goods. Okay with cans or jars of olives, coconut milk, sauces and spice mixtures like tomato sauce or curry, or vegetables like sweet potato or butternut squash, but only if the labels prove they’re “clean”.
See Robb Wolf’s 30 Day Total Transformation Book Part 2: Nutrition. He will answer your questions about carbs, protein, fat and fiber. As well as how to shop (A shopping list broken down day by day to help you along your first 30 days), and an easy formula for cooking meals (4-week meal plan with options for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks).
Exercise: NO CARDIO necessary, simple a compound movements and intervals because they mimic what we see in sports and in life which will provide a much greater return on our investment. Robb Wolf recommends a smart mix of metabolic conditioning exercises (circuit training) combined with resistance training (lifting weights) which is what I do at CROSSFIT. See Robb Wolf’s 30 Day Total Transformation Book Part 3: Exercise. He includes exercise matrix to form endless combinations of smart workouts, as well as video demos so you know how to do things.
Most importantly throw your scale away! You are not allowed to step on the scale for the duration of the challenge. This is more than just weight loss, focus only on your body composition or you’ll miss out on the most dramatic (and lifelong) benefits this challenge has to offer. Take a “before” picture of yourself and compare it to the body in the mirror from time to time to track your progress. I was so surprised to see my results. Robb also suggest to take waist measurements which I will start doing but my tracker was my clothes, I was swimming in my clothes and many cross-fitters joking commented how I was disappearing every week. Let me tell you that was such a booster and made me maintain & continue my challenge til the end.
Thur this whole processes I relied on many of the top professional/trainers’ advice, podcasts, blogs, websites such as I mention before Robb Wolf, Diane Sanfilippo Certified Nutrition Consultant, C.H.E.K. Holistic Lifestyle Coach and Mark Sisson and as well as people who live this lifestyle which I made through friends they have helped me along the way with any questions I had. I would suggest finding and following people as the ones I suggest on Facebook & Twitter. They’re are very knowledgeable and consistently put out informational links to help you understand how to live a healthy life. Also don’t forget to ask your friends about people like ME who can motivate you and keep you up to date with information they find interesting and helpful along this journey. One person I would like to thank for helping me along my journey is my buddy Anthony whose family owns an olive oil plantation in Greece, as per Diane’s information on oil we see that this is an essential part of any diet. You will be able to purchase oil starting mid December so check out his site @ Kasandrinos Imports once it is up and running!
Good Luck on your 30 Day Challenge!